Monday, March 9, 2015

Go Green Week: Talking about Green

I've always treated St. Patrick's day as a pseudo holiday. I don't get worked up about it. Since St. Patrick's day is on a Tuesday this year, a night I work the PM shift @ the liberry and then "clopen" the next day to do storytime, I'm probably not going to be going hog wild in celebrating it.
I get to order Shamrock shakes this time of year and that's all that concerns me.

So how is it I ended up with two St. Patrick's Day theme programs this week? Beats me. But I'm actually really excited about these program than I am about the actual holiday. It's also one of the safe/some what non sacred holidays that usually people don't get up in arms about their kids celebrating.

All this week I'm presenting "GO GREEN WEEK" to help they rest of you out in library land to get excited about celebrating St. Patrick's Day at your location.

My storytime theme for the week is "The Color Green" and our Ready to Read skill is Talking.
I work with toddlers so I often have to do the leading in on conversations. I made some visual aids to help me.

"Spring is coming. We are finally going to see grass! Grass is green. The steams and leaves on flowers are also green. If someone says you have a green thumb, that means you are very good at gardening"

"Many animals are green, especially lizards, frogs and snakes"


"Lots of the food we eat is green. Healthy food like lettuce, broccoli, peas and avocados"


"Shamrocks are green and St. Patrick's Day is coming up soon"

I referenced some photos on the internet and drew up my own pictures  (except the shamrock)so they would be small enough for my flannel board. I use the flannel board in the beginning of storytime and bring it out afterwards so the kids can have a closer look.

With older groups, there is a ton of more green things to talk about which is a great way of showing kids (and parents) an example of a conversation starter to help promote early literacy and learning. Green in foods, Green in Nature, Green in animals, Green in signs or logos...you get the picture.
Don't forget the Hulk, he is green too!




So here's my first post kicking off  "GO GREEN WEEK" Feel free to borrow any ideas you see here on this blog for your library programs. If you could, give me a link back or feature me on your blog, I would totally appreciate it. (Plus you would be an awesome human being)

Next Up: A Song for St. Patrick's Day

No comments:

Post a Comment