Tuesday, January 20, 2015

Storytime From the Liberry: Polar Pals

This week's theme is penguins, polar bears and other cold weather creatures. Because it's still below freezing where I am and it's okay to discuss these things. An added bonus was that my storytime puppet Tickles is a penguin so this was a special storytime for him and "he" was very excited to talk to the kids about it.

Even though map skills are probably way beyond a toddler's understanding, I posted our big world map on the wall and took time to discuss different animals and where they lived. We pointed out where we lived first, (USA) than I placed pictures of polar bears, walrus, beluga whales etc. on the top in the map in the Arctic circle or "In the North" to make it simpler. I asked then if penguins lived up north and than place one penguin on Antarctica ("in the south") But I also had more penguins which I placed on the map in South Africa, the South American coast, and New Zealand.
My map is not crocked, its on its axis!

Will these kids remember this stuff after storytime? Probably not! But they were very focused when we talked about the map and the different animal friends. Therefore they were then excited to hear the stories.

Books

Some how all my books this session were short and cute, not that I'm complaining.

Polar Bear Morning By Lauren Thompson
I read the companion book Polar Bear Night during my PM storytime

Baby Penguins Everywhere by Melissa Guion
A charming book with cute illustrations by a debut author; this short story captures the essence in becoming a new parent. A lonely penguin suddenly becomes a surrogate mother to a multitude of baby penguins. Cute for the kiddos and strikes a note with parents.

I am Small by Emma Dodd
This is one of my favorite books. It's just so sweet, especially the last few pages. Now that I'm a mom, this book hits me right in the feels! If you can get a copy without the dust jacket, all the better because this story starts and ends on the end papers.

Breathe by Scott Magoon
Sometime there is a book that just appears at the right time and it's just perfect! This was that book for me. I reserved it after seeing it on a recommended read lists from jbrary.com. It was a great "calming down" story as I encourage the kids and grown ups to take a big deep breathe with me whenever I said the word "breathe" We did this right after Shake Our Sillies Out. Also it's about beluga whales one of my favorite animals!


Songs and Activities

One Two Buckle My Shoe

Snow Songs: Have the kids wave their arms and fingers like snowflakes falling. Funny dancing is highly encouraged

Tune: Twinkle Twinkle
Snowflakes, snowflakes dance around
Snowflakes, snowflakes, touch the ground
Snowflakes, snowflakes, in the air
Snowflakes, snowflakes, everywhere
Snowflakes, snowflakes dance around
Snowflakes, snowflakes, touch the ground

Way up high in the winter sky
Two little snowflakes caught my eye
Down to the ground they fell without a sound
And before long it was snowing all around.

 What are your favorite books about polar animals? There are so many great penguin books I haven't featured here.



No comments:

Post a Comment