Saturday, January 3, 2015

New Year's Resolutions- for programming

No this is not my annual resolution (ie. lie) that I will loss that belly fat, exercise more, give up soda etc.

This is my resolution for my programs in 2015. The gang over at Storytime Underground have challenged youth services librarians and staff to "Resolve to Rock" in 2015. I've actually never set a professional New Years resolution or goal. I have grand ideas and lofty visions that often get lost in the fog of my work. So the start of the new year is the ideal time to write our my goals.

1) Gluten Free Programming!! Huh? I did do this a few summers ago. I was really concerned about exposing young children with gluten sensitivity or allergies while using items in my programs. One kid couldn't eat the hard tack we made for our Civil War program (which is no lost there, it wasn't made to be desirable or delicious) I made a play dough recipe out of baking soda instead of flour. I was being real good.
Then I wanted to do more and more and my allergy free agenda fell to the wayside. I had cloud dough with flour and play dough with flour. I usually don't make snacks a crucial part of my programs, but some other staff members use food all them time.
Then for our Elf Training program this December, we of course had cookies to decorate. One of my favorite regulars came up to ask me "Are these gluten free? And my heart sank. For the hundreds of kids who had played in flour and munched on cookies, there was now one that was who couldn't. No one should feel left out on the fun.

So I resolve that all program snack when I have them should be gluten free. And really there are many options out there that would appeal to all young taste buds. I'm doing a Frozen program in January so I'll be offering carrot sticks and doughnut hole treats, made with gluten free flour because it truly is that easy. I'm also resolved to steer away from fruit snacks, marshmallows or other food that contain gelatin to respect my Muslim patrons' needs.

2) Gender Neutral Programing- I was cutting out crafts for the upcoming Frozen program when some one was asking me what I was doing. "I'm cutting up crowns for the girls to make and reindeer antlers for the boys....or the boys can make a crown too. I don't care let them do what they want."  Yes I was struck mid sentence about how dumb I was sounding. Who did care if the little boys want to make crowns or the girls would rather be reindeer?

I actually think we do a great job at presenting gender neutral programs at our library. We have only a handful of programs geared more to girls than boys (like American Girl program or spa crafts) I think we need to do a better job letting our patrons know about them.  For example we have a fairy tale program that is based on common core practices, but I let parents know it is not just about princesses! My co-worker made an effort to not have only princess story and have it appeal to all genders. At the same time, boys like princesses to. Believe me I worked in the Disney Store for several years and I've seen boy and girls equally excited about princesses.

I did have a parent complain because their two year old son got a Candyland sticker with a fairy on it at my storytime, and that "his father will freak if he brings that home"  I didn't roll my eyes (well not when they were looking) but it's just another example of just eliminating "gender specific" items so children don't feel intimidated and parents don't have anything to complain about. 


Good luck to all fellow librarians and library staff out there in 2015!
(You only have 365 days to get it right...again)


No comments:

Post a Comment