Thursday, January 29, 2015

Storytime from the Liberry: Make Mine Music

Why pay big bucks to sign up your toddler for fancy drum circle sessions when you can come to my music story time and do it for free?
I have never understood the phenomenon behind music classes for babies and toddlers and why people shell out major bills just sing to their kiddo. Probably because I already do that stuff at home. Half my conversations with my daughter are some sort of music. I don't need to fork over 100 bucks to have some person tell me its good for her development to bang on some pots and pans.

So I'm inviting all parents to a "free preview class" of my toddler storytime were we sing together, read stories and have fun. As a bonus, if you enjoy your first session you can continue to come to our storytimes for free! As many as you want! No cost to you! Act now!

(Maybe I'm in the wrong business, I should start charging for this)























The title for this story time comes from the overlooked Disney film of the same name.

Books:
I had a really hard time deciding on what books to read because their are some many to choose from!
I narrowed my selection down to five but still was only able to read four at each storytime.

Baby's Got the Blues by Carol Diggory Shields- This book is hilarious. Very appealing for the grown ups in the crowd.
Can you Dance to the Boogaloo by Alice Lickens
Boom Bah by Phil Cummings- This book as great opportunities for movement and audience participation.
Farmyard Beat by Lindsey Craig
The Orchestra Pit by Johanna Wright

Songs and Activities:
Our ready to read skill this week was singing (duh!) so we did lots of songs and dancing on top of our usual stuff.

Old MacDonald Had a Band -Classic Piggyback method. I do have to warn my group ahead of time but sometime "farm" slips in there a couple times as we sung. Raffi has a version on CD

The Grand Old Duke of York - Can You Dance to the Boogaloo ended with the line "Just don't you dare sit still" so it was a great transition to get the kids up on their feet.

We Wave Our Scarves Together- This song comes from the gals at jbrary
Our baby storytime librarian ordered these rainbow dancing scarves (similar to these) which helped out with the dreaded "I want this color!" whining that usually happens. I happily passed these out exclaiming, "They are all the same color. We will all have rainbows!!" I also feel this could be a simple DIY craft for libraries on a budget.

We ended our session with music instrument free play time. I sat back and smiled watching the kids go nuts and just wanting to take on any old fart who dared complained about children making too much noise in the library.

No comments:

Post a Comment