Thursday, September 25, 2014

Storytime from the Liberry: Happy Feet

So I've done a storytime about hats so it seems a good idea to talk about an article of clothing that rested on the opposite side of our bodies- shoes! (get your mind out of the gutter)

When I previewed it two years ago, my co-worker and friend confided in me that she thought a storytime about shoes was one of the lamest idea she had ever heard.  Oh how she wounded me! Well this co worker left for a while but decided to come back. Welcoming her back I informed her I would be doing her favorite storytime next week.

"The one wear you read 'The Duckling gets a Cookie'?"
"No the one about SHOES!!" *cackle*

I'm sticking to my guns, I like this storytime. Plus we get to use our feet so there is a lot of jumping up and down, stamping our feet and all things toddlers love to do.

Books:
 Shoe Baby by Joyce Dunbar with illustrations by her daughter Polly Dunbar. Just really a cute little story with pleasing rhymes and repetitive phrases. 


Dancing Feet by Lindsey Craig It goes without saying, you need to get up and use your feet to make noise with this one. Most of the children got the general idea of making loud stomping noises with their feet or making tip toe quite noises. The text also follows a pattern which is easy to recall and even memorize in case your mind and hands are busy elsewhere directing your group to remember whats on the page!

My Two Hands/My Two Feet by Rick Walton
Whose Shoes by Anna Grossnickle Hines (and one of my favorite illustrators LeUyen Pham)

Yes even for a storytime on the obsure subject of shoes, there are pleanty of great books to choose from. I have at least half of dozen "back up" books I could use that worked well for this storytime, but I simply can't read them all in one storytime.

Activities and Songs:

We did the nursey rhyme, One two Buckle My Shoe
I also repeated the song I used in a summer storytime- Walking Walking

Walking Walking (Tune of "Frere Jacques")
Walking, walking, walking, walking
Hop hop hop! Hop hop hop!
Jumping, jumping, jumping, jumping, jumping, jumping.
Now we stop! Now we stop.

Extra verses including swaying and swimming, stretching and flying. 

So a storytime about shoes! What do you think?

No comments:

Post a Comment