Monday, June 9, 2014

Who? What? Summer?


Those sees to be my thoughts. I have been so busy with summer reading I have to keep reminding myself that it actually started! Our library decided to do its own program this year instead of working with the large city library like we have in the past.

Along with new storytimes for toddlers, programs for teens and tweens, I’ve also been responsible for publications, calendars, making reading records and all our display material. No joke, I can’t put into words how exhausted I am after putting this all up because my quality of speech has decreased since Thursday. My speech is scattered and slurred not from drinking, but because my brain power has been sucked out of me with every new issue I’ve had to face!

But the time has come! We has our kick off party this morning with way over 300 people in attendance. When one of my non-children's coworker asked me how our kick off party went my relpy was "Well no one died, so that's a good thing?"

We are using the collaborative theme Fizz Boom Read!


 
"Power Up!" with our picture books
My one gripe about our current library is that the entire kids section is dominated by bulletin boards and even above that lots of dead space. So when it comes to decorating we have alot of space to fill and if I had to make displays that covered every inch, we would be wasting a ton of ink and paper. Also I have to take it down in two months. We need a new library/design for many reasons but this just one of them.

 
Our "Finisher"Wall or Fill 'Er Up! Wall. This year it is beakers filled with atoms (bright colored paper circles) This wall is over 20 feet long so there are many more beakers I can't fit in the picture. I will say that every year I've done Summer Reading, we have filled our finisher wall and then some! This year, the circles are going to be blank. No names! Something new but with good reason. Our volunteers usually forget to hand out the item for the kid to put their name in, and often kids fill them out on the wrong side, upside down, and then put their whole name, phone number and school on them (yes seriously) I don't know why (bragging rights?) but we don't want to post such private information in a public space. So we'll celebrate our finishers anonymously this year.


Program Bulletin Board

 

I desperatly wanted to make this look like the Periodic Table of Elements, but then it wouldn't look like a calendar and that's really the point.
 


 
 
Only 8 more weeks of summer reading to go. We are doing some awesome new things at our library this year. I'm changing my story time format. We are doing sensory tables "labs" for the toddlers. It's going to be great and crazy! But a little crazy never hurt anyone.

No comments:

Post a Comment