Friday, June 27, 2014

Storytime from the Liberry: The Five Senses


Once upon a time there was a girl who wanted to do storytime about the five senses. How easy. I'll find a book about each sense! Eyes, Ears, Tasting, Touch, Smelling.

For kids who are 2 and 3......*tire screech*

That was my plan long ago when I first thought of doing a storytime about the 5 senses. Doing five activities for each of the sense would work great for older kids, but not toddlers so much. But wouldn't any book as long as it motivates them and has them use actions and their senses to experience it work? Yes I think so!

So on that thought I present Fizz Boom Bang! A storytime about the 5 Senses!

Books:

The Bear Went over the Mountain by Iza Trapani- The only book that truley covered the 5 senses. A great book to sing to!


The Ear Book by Al Perkins

Press Here by Herve Tullet- I asked kids if they wanted to help press the buttons but I only had two enthusiastic helpers! This interactive book is great for all ages really.

Yummy Yucky !  By Leslie Patricelli- I love this book even though it might be more for babies. It was great to ask the kids what they thought was yummy and yucky. It was an easy book to interact with.

Songs:
Head Shoulder Knees and Toes
Do Your Ears Hang Low?

Where is Your Finger- (Tune of "In an Out the  Window")
Where is your Finger?
Where is your finger?
Where is your finger?
Show me if you can? (Repeat with other body parts)

Walking Walking (Tune of "Frere Jacques")
Walking, walking, walking, walking
Hop hop hop! Hop hop hop!
Jumping, jumping, jumping, jumping, jumping, jumping.
Now we stop! Now we stop!
(Repeat with other movements. First time I used this song and it was great to get the wiggles out before we got to our big dance song)

For our after storytime activity we had a bin of rainbow rice and sensory bottles on the tarp. I was hoping they would play with half and half but they all seemed to crowd around the sensory bin and had a great time burying each others hands!
The last time the colors of the rice would ever be separated!

No comments:

Post a Comment