Tuesday, June 17, 2014

Toddler Storytime-The Times they are a-changin'...

*Big Breath* This is my first move in changing the format of my toddler storytimes. I'm going to a more repetitive format that isn't so theme heavy in the fall so I'm using the summer as a transition period. I'll be doing some of the same things, but introducing some new things that might shock my co-workers and annoy the parents.

My motto   







1. I'm doing away with story time sheets! I using large pieces of poster board to write down our song for all to see so they don't have to fumble. Also to help the kids relate to the practice of reading and singing by noticing that everyone is looking and singing the same words. And now parents, you have no excuse not to sing along.

2. I'm repeating songs more frequently. I want to have a repertoire of 15-20 standard songs as fillers for our storytimes along with a new song that relate to our theme. Hopefully by establishing this routine I can be ready to introduce a opening/closing by fall.

3. I'm using a Puppet! I have cute penguin puppet from Folkmains that I'm using to introduce books and activities. Also as suggestion from other librarians, as a "good cop bad cop". My puppet will go over expected story time behaviors when I announce them to the group. It's time for this because I have had too many parents and caregiver treat storytime as social hour. *Start rant* I have had instances were I could hear every detail about a lunch meeting or a church function while I'm trying to read a story. If you are talking loud enough that I can make out every word over the sound of my voice and the sounds of antsy toddlers, you are talking too loud. One grandmother tried to call in reservation to a restaurant as we are "Shaking our Sillies Out" while rolling her eyes because they we where too loud. (I turned up the volume when I saw her pull out her phone, BTW) *end rant*

This is no doubt the issue I'm going to get flack about from caregivers. But it's not fair to the kids and parents who are trying to pay attention. I'm tired of being talked over by adult who should know better and also seeing other parents upset at conversations interrupting us. This is my warning. I just don't want to call out for people to be quiet like a teacher in school.

But I will have "social hour" right after storytime. I have different activities like crafts, imaginative play or sensory bins for each week.

Wish me luck!?

No comments:

Post a Comment