Saturday, May 9, 2015

V is for Victory

Recently the whole world seems to be celebrating together as we mark the 70th anniversary of the defeat of the German  forces during World War II. 
May 8 was the official surrender of the German forces after signing the act of military surrender in Berlin.  Many countries in Europe and Asia have commemorative holidays know as Liberation Day, V-E Day or in Russia (and countries of the former Soviet Union) May 9 is celebrated as Victory Day (which is apparently a big deal over there)

In the United States this holiday is often over looked until yesterday when a landmark anniversary was celebrated. This is understandable considering the US Military was still engaged in a campaign against Japan and would not celebrate their surrender until months later.

While discussing this events yesterday with my husband, I had to reflect on my own short time in history. In 1995, at the 50th anniversary of the end of World War II my parents gave me a book for Christmas. V is for Victory: American Remembers World War II.
It was one of my favorite books and as I reflect on it now, probably the book that really sparked my interest in history. How I would love a chance to read it again....

But then I snapped back to reality! It's the 70th anniversary and that was back during the 50th anniversary. This book is now 20 years old! It's probably withdrawn from library shelves. How did I get so old?

Thankfully, some libraries in our system did have copies without me having to do an ILL for it. Sure there are plenty of new books on the shelves about World War II, but I think I'll prefer to re-visit  this book instead;)

No comments:

Post a Comment