Friday, May 29, 2015

Alternate Superhero Titles

Flashback
The year is 2010 and it's my first round of summer reading at my new library job. Obviously I'm stoked; eager to impress and please. I was assigned to help other staff members in their programs inducing reading books at storytimes, making crafts etc.

One of our elementary programs had me reading a book about superheroes. The title? Mighty Max by Harriet Ziefert

Great literature it is not. Timeless story, not close but really for me, it was just such an awkward book to read aloud. The plot was just empty and pointless, the ending didn't fit. It just seemed pasted together with images and words to appease superhero obsessed little kids. Pandering to them almost.The only impression it left on me was how bad it was. And how the heck was I going to read this and pretend like it was the "greatest story I've ever read."

It made me nervous. I did my best, while inwards pointing out all my imperfections in my tone, inflection and diction as I read. I got no reaction from the kids. I felt like a comic dying in front of a buzzed crowd at an open mike. All finished I closed the book and wondered for the rest of the day. "Is this what it's going to be like for the rest of the summer? For the rest of my career?"

The panic subsided when I got to take control of programs and I got to choose the books I read out loud. If I ever picked on that bombed, was boring or I only picked it because it matched my theme, I would reminded myself..."Mighty Max"

Now as cool as it would be to do branded superhero storytime all summer. (All Iron Man one week, Batman the next!) kid's library staff are painfully aware that the books based of popular characters purely commercial..at best. They can't hold a candle to the comic genius of Mo Willems or the simple and timeless stories of Eric Carle. But they do get kids to read, so they get points for trying. (I'm just glad if a kid reads period) So instead of the obvious choices of picture books with superhero themes for storytime, I have a few book suggestions for an alternate route.




Ninjas! Ninjas are heroes (or villains...) and they still have massive appeal to even little kids. Publishers finally got the hint and more and more picture book titles about ninjas are on the shelves. Nightime Ninja  and Ninja Ninja Never Stop are a few of my favorite ones.

Hoot Owl Master of Disguse
This book made me laugh and I appreciated that the main character had a bit of a naughty side to him (Just like your typical toddler) It's a chance to do a dramatic reading in a cliche voices. Can't pass that opportunity up!

Superhero Bodies (No not that scene when Steve Rogers turns into a total beefcake in Captain America...but its nice to think about)
Book explaining to kids the awesome superpowers in their own bodies. Books with movement and body awareness. From Head to Toe is a great option.

Hero Mom
Books celebrating moms and dads as personal heroes are great. This one works well for kids who have a parent in the military or not. Kids can still relate. I've been on a lot of school visits the past week talking about Summer Reading. When we mention we are going to have persons from the military for a program, they got really excited.

When my work is done for today, I realized that I when I come back to work after the weekend, it will be June! The Summer Reading Club approaches. Take heed super library staffers everywhere!


P.S. Harriet Ziefert is some sort of magically writing machine who has written over several hundred children's books. My dislike of Mighty Max should not give the impression that she sub par writer because she is far from it.



No comments:

Post a Comment