Monday, April 6, 2015

What to do with all those leftover Easter eggs?


We have a memo from our boss. We are "supposed" to be moving into a new building within the next year or two, so all of our excess craft supplies we have hoarded in the basement needed to be used or thrown away because they are not moving into the new library!

(I'm all for this! This years of hoarding TP rolls was way before my time and I'm not a person who enjoys clutter. My stress levels rise when I have too many book on my tiny desk!)

We have a large book bin with plastic Easter eggs. They were used for activities a couple years ago but have mostly remained untouched. So I decided to reuse them for a craft, just in time for Easter spring break.

I'm channeling my inner "Khalessi" and making dragon eggs! I was looking for craft ideas to go with our spring break movie for today "How to Train Your Dragon 2" A search of dragon crafts for little kids was kinda of limited. But I loved the examples of dragon eggs (I'm totally doing this one) and thought I can adapt this so kids can create a simplified version.




The craft works just like paper mache. Kids have the option to use paintbrushes but I've always preferred using my fingers. It seems like it's a lost art among today's kiddos.

1) Select your egg. Spread a thin layer of glue over it. - I used clear glue but any glue or Mod Podge that dries clear will work fine.
2) Cover the egg with strips of tissue paper. Smooth down with your finger and use more glue when needed. Experiment with layers and different colors.
3)Provide a container (condiment cup, paper cup, etc.) for kids to place their egg when they are done. That way there is a safe way to carry them around the library and then home as they dry. Decorate with what ever art supplies your have home for extra flair.


Not just for Easter! Use this dragon craft idea all year round. Can also be used for Minecraft programs to create dragon eggs from the game.

No comments:

Post a Comment