Saturday, April 11, 2015

Teen Passive Ideas- Summer Reading Round Two

Summer is sneaking up on us quickly. I basically went into panic mode and forced myself to plan and settle on ideas for Summer Reading this week.



I've mentioned this before that we have terrible teen program attendance, yes even in summer when we have over 100 teen volunteers visit us but very few stay for our programs. However we do have a great group of teen patrons who check out our books. ( I call them the "Invisible Ones") So having interactive passives on our display end caps is a good way to engage teens who might not be able or not want to come to our programs.

I wrote a post last year when out theme was Fizz Boom Read everything was loosely related science fiction. This year it is all about super heroes or with my twist...Super Villains!

We are having a "March Madness" style voting (all be it in summer) for our favorite super villains. There are four divisions- Comic. Disney, Movies, and Books.

Right now I'm totally stuck on Movies- I want to pick 4 villains the teens today know about but aren't from comic book movies or movies based on books. I'm hesitant to do just a match up of slasher horror villains. It's a work in progress.

For our other passives I'm rotating on a opinion poll and an interactive display every other week, Last years quizzes had their issue. Mostly I had little kids trying to fill them out and wanted to get a prize right then and there (which wasn't the point; it was an entry for a prize) Since teens have no seperate area and bump right into kids I get this issue alot.

Poll passives include would you rather questions such as...
Would you rather be a hero or a villain?
Would you rather be able to fly or be invisible?
Would you rather write your own adventure story or live inside your favorite book?
Would you rather eat pancakes or waffles?


Display passives include:
Make your own comics, with blank comic strip pages
All About the Games: A Hunger Games Display (This came from CSLP maunnel) Check out the recently released posters The Heroes of Panem
Literary Heroes- A display about Classic literature
And this most excellent Adventure Time Scavenger hunt found at Bryce Don't Play!

If you have a suggestions for favorite villains, leave them in the comments!

No comments:

Post a Comment