Monday, April 7, 2014

Storytime from the Library: Bump in the Night



No storytime repertoire is complete without a bed time theme! I’ve seen several libraries in my area that have a pajama storytime in the evening for families or stuffed animal sleepover. Unfortunately with my schedule this isn’t a possible so I always make sure to have a special pajama storytime and invite the kids and parents to wear their PJ’s. It works great for both of my toddler crowds; morning and evening.

Llama Llama Red Pajama by Ann Dewdney (always a crowd favorite)



The Book of Sleep by Il Sung Na
This is a great book with whimsical illustrations and it’s easy enough to talk about what’s on the cover and what animals we see in the book, even with 2 and 3 year olds.



Songs:
Rock a Bye Baby- We had teddy bears and puppets as our reading buddies for storytime, so the kids used them to rock their babies. However they were very reluctant to “make them fall”.

Ten in the Bed- I discovered a new way to sing this song by chance. I was singing it to my daughter (who was literally the little one in the bed) and substituted numbers for family members (Mom, dad and the dog) I also added a comical noise (OUCH OOFF GRUNT) at the end of the line when someone fell off the bed.
This made my baby giggle and when I tried it with the toddlers, I got the same result. I passed on this tip to caregivers as a suggestion to make this song more personal.

Other songs

 Wee Willie Winkie- Good for closing and letting the kids “run up and down”

Are you sleeping, are you sleeping,
Brother John, Brother John?
Morning bells are ringing, morning bells are ringing,
Ding dong ding! Ding dong Ding!

Frere Jacques, Frere Jacque
Dormez vous? Dormez vous?
Sonnez les matines, Sonnz les matines
Don din dou, don din dou

Frey Felipe, Frey Felipe
Duermes tu? Duermes Tu?
Toca la campana, toca la campana
Bam bam bam! Bam bam bam!

Frere Jaques- Great for languages if you can get the kids/grownups to sing in English, French and Spanish. Works better for older kids.

No comments:

Post a Comment