Wednesday, April 23, 2014

Storytime from the Liberry: Fiesta- Flannel Friday

Happy (early) Cinco De Mayo everyone!

For my last storytime of the spring session we focused on everything South of the Border.
Presenting my first Flannel Friday submission ever-a five whatsits song.



Five Tortillas cooking in a pan
One jumped out and ran ran ran!
Four Tortillas brown on each side
One fell out and ran to hide.
Three Tortillas flat and round
One ran away without a sound
Two tortillas, not a lot.
One ran away-it was too hot!
One Tortilla, looking pretty neat
Until it heard the words, "Let's eat"

I do not recall the website I found this on, but I do have the author listed as Jo Ellen Brown, so credit goes to her.



I added faces and numbers to the tortillas so they would look more interesting than just 5 tan circles. Also I was lazy and didn't use the actual flannel board. I did this right after reading our big book, so I stuck them to the big book stand with double sided tape, instead of trying to fumble getting the flannel board out.


Books:
Is Your Mama a Llama- I used the big book and used a great puppet from Folkmanis. He's one of my favorite, even though he's listed as an Alpaca, I'll let him be a Llama for today:)
Pinata by
Fiesta Babies by Carmen Tafolla
Maria Had a Little Llama / María Tenía Una Llamita by 


Activites- Mexican Hat Dance- You can't have a Cinco de Mayo party with maracas (and I don't really trust toddlers with a pinata) I passed out shakers and we "danced" around the Mexican hat (and old sombrero from Chi-Chi)
I removed all the pink and purple shakers since I have toddlers in my group who are manic about what color they get. I've had little girls fight over pink and little boys go into melt down mode over not getting green. Even though I always say. "You get what you get" when I pass them out and the parents back me up on this, I can't help but having tears whenever I pass things out.

No comments:

Post a Comment