Friday, March 7, 2014

Time for Displays! - March



March is Teen Tech Week- March 9-15 which for me starts early so I have more time to have people look at my display.




We have passive at our library each month; one for kids and another for teens. The kid one is always a really hit because it involves a craft, coloring sheets and guessing games. The teen one…eh not so much. There are 2 main reasons for this. Number 1- I don’t have a table to set up supplies like we do for the kids- I just have a ledge. Number 2- The chairs in front of the displays are occupied 90% of the time by older patrons.  (That’s another story for another time)

I have two passives- A super simple scavenger hunt and a CubeeCraft as a Take and Make. I printed a blank one so the kids could make up their own characters.

TIP: I discovered that using a thumbtack to score and cut paper (like I had to do on the tabs for the Cubee) works just as well as using a craft/x-acto knife.  I am much more comfortable handing a room full of teens thumbtacks to make precision cuts than handing all of them craft knifes that have “potential weapon”  written all over them

I was going for a Minecraft theme and I displayed some books on Minecraft, nail art, duct tape and other popular teen crafts which were promptly checked out!


I changed the storytime bulletin board because I didn’t want to appear lazy. I swear this looks better in real life!
 


I swear this looks better IRL


I’m pretty please at how it turned out, even though I didn’t put background paper because I didn’t feel like wasting more paper (and perhaps I’m really lazy after all) Oh, how I wish I could just paint the bulletin board color so it always wasn’t ugly grey/brown.


 The book characters are all made out of construction paper and done free hand. The way Clifford turned out really bothers me, but I am my own worst critic. I’ll just let it bother me every day I look at it until I change it….in May

 

No comments:

Post a Comment