Monday, November 30, 2015

Disney-cember

I find the holiday season a stressful time. More so when I'm at work and my arm is twisted to make our department "Holly and Jolly" with little or no help from my co-workers.



My idea for a Harry Potter themed tree was nixed and was suggested that we do a Night Before Christmas Tree and that we make craft templates so all the staff could decorate one. (Translation: I will tasked to make them.)  I've been hauling butt to get ornaments, trees, and crafts ready for the first week of December.




However, admist this holiday hell there is something heavenly With the success of last years winter break programs, we are bringing back movies and crafts for patrons to do while the kids are off of school. Foolish, they let me pick the movies and went with our theme....Disneycember!*

Don't lie. You just hummed the theme music when you saw this image.


I keep threatening to have my own Disney marathon during December. (54 films /31 days) My husband thinks it's doubtful but I have faith and a two year old which is a good excuse to watch Disney movies

During winter break, we will be showing a classic Disney movie with popcorn. We will also have crafts and activities based on the movie being shown.

The Lion King- A super easy yet surprising sophisticated lion mask. Instructions at Disney Family





Aladdin- A Magic carpet craft. Kids decorate a simple blue sheets of construction paper with tissue paper and other decorations. Punch some holes on the side and add tassels. Viola, your own magic carpet!


Snow White- A craft of my own design. Cut out paper to make a hat and clothes. Glue it to a cardboard tube. Decorate with eyes, nose, belts, buckles, buttons, etc. Lastly glue on a beard made of cotton ball to have your own dwarf!



Robin Hood- Using a template (or a blank sheet of paper) kids can create their own Wanted poster.

Also, I've ordered in plenty of "How to Draw" your favorite Disney character books in. I have a station were the kids can draw and color just like animators. (I might bring up the light board!)


Bonus- What else is big, coming out and December and happens to belong to Disney.....

Star Wars! We are having a "release party" the day after "The Force Awakens" comes out. Similar set up. Crafts and activities all day, a movie in the afternoon. I couldn't convince my boss to let us have a marathon all day. I'm only allowed to watch 1 two hour movie on the clock.

If you really want to step up your game (or are just a Disney freak like me) you can also show a short cartoon before a film. Just like back in the day. Lots of the Disney short cartoons such as Three Little Pig, Prince and the Pauper and Mickey's Christmas Carol are available on DVD.

Pictures to come soon, after the programs. But for now here is the program ideas if you are still searching for stuff to keep your young patrons entertained over the school break.

Happy Disneycember to you all!!!


*Disclaimer: Disneycember was coined by Doug Walker, the Nostalgic Critic. If you want to watch his reviews of the all the traditional Disney animated features and have a warm fuzzy feeling that brings you back to your childhood, check it out here.







No comments:

Post a Comment