Wednesday, August 12, 2015

Booklist- More than just a piece of paper?

The solution to all my problems and my anxieties will be solved....when we move to our new building. That is the mantra I must keep repeating to myself. Till then I'm going to fret about how we can better provide services to our patrons without being perceived as lazy.

Book lists.

I'll admit. I have a love/hate relationship with book lists. On the one hand I love making them. It's always fun to take on a new project and make the time at work pass by faster (It beats sitting at the desk all day, mindlessly surfing the internet, waiting for someone...anyone to ask me a question!) It gives me a chance to research on Goodreads and other book review blogs.

On the other hand, I think printing out a list and sticking it up on a slat wall is about as effective as...just waiting all day at the desk for someone to ask you a question!! It's not the ideal outreach tool for our patrons IMHO.

It also seems limited. I hate being asked "Where are books for 3rd graders?" "Where is level such and such." If some one asks for a lists of books about Greek Mythology, and I just hand them a list and tell them to go find them or look them up in the catalog; I'm not being helpful. I'd rather do Reader's Advisory with a patron over handing them a book list.

However I do realize that they serve a need. Some people are in a hurry and they are just looking for a quick suggestion. Some kids/adult will NEVER come to the desk and ask for suggestions for whatever reasons (shyness, social awkwardness, etc.).

There is no magic bullet to make our patrons suddenly check out more books and explore new topics. Most are set in their ways. They might ask you for a suggestion but most of the time it's "I'll just take a list, thank you very much"


We've had a mostly empty slat wall right by our storytime area. Another awkward space (Our library is full of them! Hence why I'm excited about the new building!) Neglected as a book display before my time and often forgotten by shelvers, it has mostly displayed Ready to Read posters.

To snazz it up, I added two displays of "helpful handouts" (not sure what else to call them) focusing on Ready to Read...without the wordy jargon. I found great resources over at Reading Rockets.
"How to Read to a Squiggly Baby (or Toddler!)"
"Finding the Right Book for Your Child"

I also created a book list based on a BuzzFeed article on 37 Books to Read To Your Kids, Based on Their Favorite TV Shows.

My goal was to make this area more appealing for parents visiting storytimes with their kids later this fall. The same day I finished this, I saw a father pick up my book list, browse the picture books and select a stack of suggested books to take home.

OMG a book list worked!


Book lists? Hate them? Love them?
Helpful tools for patrons and library staff alike? Or antiquated relics that should go the way of the card catalog?

(P.S. Reading Rockets also has a page for themed book lists if you need some inspiration)

No comments:

Post a Comment