Saturday, October 25, 2014

Halloween at the Liberry

I love Halloween. So much so that I asked for the week of Halloween off so I could spend it with my family and avoid work all together!


Sorry for my bitterness but this will be the second year in a row where I have to work the Sunday before and the Friday after Christmas and Thanksgiving (and yes all my co workers have ditched me take week long vacations so I'm holding up the fort) Do you know how depressing a library is at 8:00 pm on December the 26th? Two years ago I had to come in the day after Christmas during a major snow storm! My consolation prize is a mini vacation for myself so I can take my kid trick or treating, order in pizza and stay up late watching old horror movies. Let me have my holiday!

But that being said, there are children to entertain at the library. So here is a round up of some books and activities we are doing for our All Hallow's Eve festivities.

I doing two story times during the holiday season. One for my toddlers as per usual and another all ages storytime on the weekend for kids and families

Books:
Over in the Hollow by Rebecca Dickinson
On a Windy Night by Nancy Raines Day
And of course the Scary Stories to Tell in the Dark and In a Dark Dark Room by the incomparable Alvin Schwartz

For my family storytime, I'm mixing the playful with the scary (with fair warning that some of the stories my be too spooky for some) But it's always nice to have some finger plays and songs for the little ones.

The Ghost Fingerplay
I saw a ghost (circle fingers around eyes)
He saw me too (point to yourself)
I waved at him (Wave)
But he said BOO! (scare the person next to you)

If you are a Monster and You Know It
Piggyback off of "If you are Happy and You Know It" Monsters can stomp their feet, give a Roar, lurch about. Vampires can show their fangs, and ghosts say Boo!

There is also this super cute design for a Ghost Fingerplay complete with finger puppets

And if you are tired of reading "Go Away Big Green Monster" (and I am since my co worker reads it every single year) Try the flannel story "Go Away Big Orange Monster" and substitute a pumpkin instead!

File this under things "you never thought you've have to do as a library staff member"- Screen old cartoons for racist references! We are showing spooky cartoons on trick or treat night for kids passing by the library on their way to the big Halloween event in the town square. I'm in charge setting the playlist and discovering while Mickey Mouse's Haunted House cartoon is delightful spooky, it has a "Mammy" joke in it. I'm the youngest one in my department and I had to explain to them why this isn't a "good thing".  I know that it's apart of our cultural history but it never hurts to cover your butt and be PC for that sake of saving your job. Here's a list of vintage cartoons you can screen for your program or just for your pleasure.





Happy Halloween!

No comments:

Post a Comment