Tuesday, July 22, 2014

Storytime from the Liberry: Animals

I have about dozen or so storytimes themed around certain types of animals. But sometimes it's just great to do a generalized storytime about something everyone likes. And who doesn't like animals?

Fizz Boom Roar: Toddler Storytime about Animals for Summer Reading 2014


Books:

My Heart is like a Zoo by Michael Hall



Don't Let the Pigeon Drive the Bus by Mo Willems



This is maybe the third or forth time I tried reading a "Pigeon" book with my toddlers and this time it finally clicked! Despite my wild enthusatic readings of these titles, I usually got met with alot of blanked bored faces. This group of kids seem to understand directions. I asked them if they knew the word "No" (What toddler doesn't know the word no?) and to help me by shouting the word "No"! They did a great job, until the pigeon offered them "5 dollars". One little girl's eyes grew very big and she jumped up from her seat shouting "Yes! Yes!"

Dear Zoo by Rob Campbell
Can You Cuddle Like a Koala by John Butler

Songs and Activities:
I scoured the realm of Pinterest to find add on songs and activities to go with our stories.
Storytime ABC's had a great Flannel Friday post about Pigeon including a puppet craft that I gave to the kids to use during the story.


They also had a fabulous magnetic board and activities to share for My Heart is Like a Zoo. The magnetic board looks fantastic and came with instructions for a craft. But this was just a little too advance for my storytime friends. We used the piggyback song for "If You're Happy and you know It"

It was also my first time trying a hiding game. We did "Little Mouse, Little Mouse, Are you in the Red House?" The kids had a blast with it and it was also a very easy flannel board to make. Win win!
Check out the Kings County Library Wiki for instructions.


Kangaroos Fingerplay
5 baby kangaroos all in a row
(Hold up 5 fingers.)
When they see their mother they kick just so
(Let fingers thrust forward.)
For their mothers they have missed,
(Hold up other hand.)
So they run and give her a great big kiss.
(Wiggle right hand fingers toward left hand and touch fingertips.)

Social hour activity was a simple imaginative playtime using many of our jungle animal puppets. I also had a give away craft for the kids. Animal masks made from the pre-printed animal paper plates that you use to be able to find everywhere a few years ago. I couldn't find the ones made by Hefty but Oriental Trading had some that worked out well.







No comments:

Post a Comment